Apprenticeships & Fellowships
FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION: Due by May 1st, 2018
HOW TO APPLY: Please drop off in person at Working Classroom, 423 Atlantic Ave. SW 87102 OR scan and email to iCREATE@workingclassroom.org. In addition to your application, please attach the following supporting documents:
- Your report card from the Fall 2017 semester
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, principal, or mentor, in a sealed and signed envelope (or emailed directly to iCREATE@workingclassroom.org by the signer)
- One creative work that represents you or your ambitions (for example, a drawing, a video, a photo or a piece of writing)
ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP: The I CREATE Fellowship is a yearlong fellowship for self-identified young men of color currently in 9th – 11th grade* who are interested in a creative career related to visual art, printmaking, video, or new media. We are accepting eight New Media fellows and eight printmaking/visual art fellows (a total of 16 fellows).
The Fellowship begins February 26th, 2018 through end of April 2019 and meets Mondays and Wednesdays, twice a week 4:30 pm – 7:00 pm during the spring and fall semester and more intensively during the summer paid internships (up to 5 hours per day, 5 days per week for 4 to 6 weeks). Students who participate in the Fellowship will receive college prep and career coaching, as well as opportunities for creative career professional development and a variety of paid internships. Upon completion of the program, and to assist with making the goal of college attendance a reality, students will receive a $500 education award and may become eligible for up to an additional $1,000 in matching funds through Prosperity Works.
*12th graders considered on a case-by-case basis.
Benefits of Fellowship:
- Free tuition to all Working Classroom workshops during the 1-year fellowship
- College application coaching
- Mentorship in the Visual Art or New Media program with professional artists
- Opportunity to apply to paid artistic internship during summer 2018
- Opportunities to exhibit and show your artwork
- A $500 education award upon completion of the program
- 1-year commitment (February 26th, 2018 – April 2019)
- Enroll in the I CREATE Spring 2018 and Fall 2018 after school workshops during school year
- Apply for and participate in the Summer 2018 I CREATE Internship
- Enroll in the I CREATE College Prep workshop
- Complete a final artwork, presentation or collaborative project for the Spring 2019 final exhibition
- Commitment to participating in bi-monthly academic or life skills workshops and assignments: researching and applying for scholarships and financial aid, researching colleges and community events